Southern Collard Greens
Southern collard greens the way they were meant to be: earthy with some garlic goodness and bacon love.
Prep Time12 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 12 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 3 Slices Uncooked Bacon
- 1 Onion peeled and diced (Spanish)
- 2 Cloves Garlic peeled and minced
- 1 LB Collard Greens washed and woody stems removed. Slice into 1" by 3" slices (see picture)
- 1 TSP Kosher Salt
- 1/2 TSP Fresh Cracked Pepper
- 3/4 Cup Chicken Stock any stock will do
- 1 Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
In a high sided, heavy bottom pot add in the olive oil. Turn the heat to high. When the oil shimmers, add in the bacon. Reduce the temperature to medium. Cook the bacon until the fat has been rendered. Remove the bacon from the pot.
Add in the onion and the kosher salt. Cover the pot and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping the brown bits off the bottom. While the onion is cooking, finely chop the cooked bacon.
Add the garlic into the onions and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add the chopped bacon and collard slices into the pot. Cook until the collards begin to wilt, about 2-3 minutes. Add in the red pepper flakes (optional, but delicious).
Add in the stock. Mix. Cover the pot and cook over low heat for 45 minutes to an hour.
Taste and serve hot!