Mashed carrots shouldn’t be relegated to the world of baby food. Especially when they taste THIS good. Let’s make a tasty grown-up version everyone will love: my Carrot Mash with Ginger & Garlic won’t disappoint. I promise. It’s so good.
This Carrot Mash recipe is: Low Carb, Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free and Vegetarian.
CARROT MASH WITH GINGER & GARLIC
What’s not to love about carrots… they’re affordable, tasty and very forgiving in the kitchen. That’s one ménage à trois everybody wants to take part in.
Now mashed carrots are a little different. They’ve gotten a bad rap being fairly synonymous with baby food. Nobody I know really wants to chow down on baby food with dinner. But this carrot mash is unique. It has body, finesse and character.
The body comes from a rough mash of the carrots. I don’t advise using a blender, stick blender or the like. The finesse is introduced with the whipped cream cheese. It makes the mashed carrots lighter and full of air. The character is built through the combination of fresh ginger and robust garlic. When all three elements come together, they become the superhero of side dishes. Mashed carrots have been reborn.
HOW TO MAKE CARROT MASH
Here are some tips to making fantastic mashed carrots:
- Don’t use baby carrots from a bag. They tend to fall apart when boiled.
- After the carrots are peeled, chop them to a relatively uniform size. They will cook more evenly.
- Test your carrots after they have been cooking for 15 minutes to see how far along they are.
- Try not to overcook the carrots. The mash will turn to mush.
- Mash with a hand masher rather than a ricer, blender or stick blender. Chunks are welcomed.
- Use whipped cream cheese. Regular cream cheese is too dense.
- Lightly sauté the ginger and garlic. It still needs to be fragrant.
- Brighten the whole dish with a squeeze of lemon. Deliciousness will abound.
CARROT SIDE DISH RECIPES
I love carrots and it shows. Here are some of my most popular carrot side dishes:
Nutrition information is supplied by NutriFox and are based on estimates only.