Oh wow. When you bite into these stuffed cherry tomatoes there is a flavor explosion! Packed with bacon, lettuce and hard boiled eggs this BLT Tomato Bite won’t disappoint!
This stuffed cherry tomatoes recipe is: Gluten Free, Paleo, Primal and Wheat Belly friendly
Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes pack incredibly huge flavor!
All I can say about this recipe is: Yum. It’s truly awesome just how good these are. It’s funny because we made thousands of these at my catering company and I still love how all the flavors just melt together in one little power packed bite. To be honest, as I am sitting here writing this, I want another one. This recipe for stuffed cherry tomatoes BLT style is easy, they travel well and whomever you serve them to is going to love them!
This past week I had some thinking to do. We were invited to a dinner and Caroline asked what we could bring. We were told that an appetizer would be great. Seems pretty easy, right? I had a thousand ideas going through my head, but most were for hot appetizer bites and we have a 30 minute car ride to contend with. Most of the hot appetizers would have to be assembled on site or heated up when we arrived. Long story short, we needed an appetizer that was cold and could travel well. The first thing that came to mind were these stuffed cherry tomatoes.
QUICK COOKING TIP: If you look at the image below with the shredded lettuce and hollowed out tomatoes, you will see a little tool there that is a Strawberry Huller. You can get these at almost any home goods store or dollar store- and they are about a dollar for two of them. These hullers are great for tomatoes, but not just the small ones. They work perfectly for removing the tough core of a large tomato as well.
I was first introduced to these BLT bites by Michele at my catering company called The Chubby Cook. We were putting together our appetizer menu ideas and she put together one of these for me to try. It was a knockout punch of flavor in a bite sized package. It not only made the appetizer menu, but soon became one of our best sellers. Here’s the recipe:
STUFFED CHERRY TOMATOES BLT STYLE
- 6 Large eggs hard boiled and peeled
- ⅓ Cup mayonnaise
- 1 TSP Dijon Mustard
- 3 Pieces Cooked Bacon finely minced
- 1 TBSP finely minced chives with extra for plating
- ⅓ Cup chiffonade romaine
- ½ TSP Kosher Salt
- ¼ TSP fresh cracked black pepper
- 15-20 Cherry tomatoes seeded (see Quick Cooking Tip)
- For this recipe, I bought hard boiled eggs from the grocery to save time. Otherwise, hard boil the eggs, peel the shell and add to a bowl.
- Add in the mayonnaise and mustard.
- Use a potato masher and combine all the ingredients. Otherwise, smash with a fork.
- Incorporate the bacon, chives, romaine, salt and pepper. Mix well and taste. Adjust seasoning.
- Add the BLT Tomato Bites mixture to a zip-lock freezer bag. Push the mixture to one of the corners and cut about a ¼” piece of the bag with scissors to make a piping bag. Place in the refrigerator while working on the tomatoes.
Preparing the Tomatoes
- First wash the tomatoes.
- Next, slice off a tiny bit from the very bottom of the tomato so it will stand up on its own.
- Using a strawberry huller, remove the stem. Then push the huller into the tomato and remove the insides. It’s ok if the edge of the hole gets ripped or mushed up a bit- it will be covered up by the BLT Tomato Bites mixture when you pipe it in.
Finishing the Appetizer
- Take the piping bag out of the refrigerator.
- Fill each of the tomatoes with the mixture.
- Top with extra chives or finely minced scallions.
PLEASE NOTE: The nutritional data is provided by NutriFox and may not be 100% accurate.
Final Thoughts on the Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes BLT Style:
Well, these little dudes really are good. I hope that our friends liked these appetizers when we brought them over for dinner. If you’re looking for some incredible flavor along with these being easy to transport, then you’ve found the right appetizer.
If you are looking for some additional appetizers, check out some of these: my famous Butternut Squash & Sausage Appetizer, Bacon Wrapped Shrimp, my Easy Guacamole Recipe or give the Thai Sweet Chili Wings a shot. They are so delicious!
As always, please feel free to share this recipe, write your comments in and let me know what you think!