The beauty of this recipe for Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas is the versatility. It is just so easy to substitute wonderful ingredients that you probably have on hand. Don’t like green peppers? Grab a poblano instead. Want more spice? Add in some jalapeno toward the end of the cook time. This recipe is also fantastic simply because it is made on a sheet pan. Simple cleanup, easy preparation and slam dunk flavors.
This Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas recipe is: Low Carb, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo and Keto.
Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas: Healthy Simplicity
Are you living the low carb lifestyle? Trying to make recipes which are fast, healthy and delicious? I guarantee this recipe for oven baked chicken fajitas is so easy and healthy that it will become a quick “go to” meal once a week.
Wondering how you’re going to eat fajitas without tortillas? It’s easy. We’re going to plate these fajitas on a bed of fresh arugula. The peppery green compliments the spice from the fajita perfectly.
Looking to jazz up the recipe a bit? Simple. Crumble some fresh cotija on top for a salty burst of flavor. Or make a quick lime vinaigrette for the arugula. Here’s how:
Lime Vinaigrette Recipe:
Juice of 1 Lime
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Pepper
Add all the ingredients to a bowl. Mix well with a fork. Add to the arugula.
Recipe for Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas
The recipe for oven baked chicken fajitas is really simple. It needs the following:
- Chicken, Shrimp or Flank Steak.
- Bell Peppers
- Seasoning (Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, Salt & Pepper)
- Cilantro & Lime
You will need a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and an oven set to 350F.
Slice the peppers, onions and protein to the same width. Coat the peppers and onions with some oil, season and bake for 15 minutes.
Add the protein and continue to bake until cooked through.
Plate and serve hot with some cotija over a fresh bed of arugula.
The Recipe Redux
This month’s challenge is to make a simple, healthy sheet pan meal. There are about a million different ways that the challenge could be completed, but what can I say… my family loves Mexican so here we are with this wonderful oven baked chicken fajitas recipe. I hope that you love it as much as we do!
Delicious Mexican Recipes
Healthy Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas
- 1.5 Lbs Chicken Breast Boneless Skinless
- 1 Yellow Pepper Julienne
- 1 Orange Pepper Julienne
- 1 Red Pepper Julienne
- 1 Spanish Onion Sliced Thin
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil Divided
- 3 Teaspoons Chili Powder Divided
- 3 Teaspoons Garlic Powder Divided
- 1 Teaspoon Salt Divided
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper Divided
- 2 Tablespoons Cilantro Minced
- 1 Lime Sliced
- 1/4 Cup Cotija Optional
- 1 Box Fresh Arugula
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Pan should be a minimum 15 ½ “x 10”. In fact, the larger the better. You want to be able to spread your ingredients out so they cover the pan in one layer for more even cooking.
- Slice peppers into same size strips
- Slice onions into same size strips (similar to peppers) slicing top to bottom.
- In a bowl toss peppers, onions, 2 tablespoons of the oil, 1 ½ teaspoons of the chili powder, 1 ½ teaspoons of the garlic powder, salt to taste and fresh ground pepper to taste, making sure strips are well coated.
- Spread seasoned vegetables out on sheet pan and place in oven for 15 minutes
- While those cook, cut chicken breasts into strips, long-ways. If breasts are too thick butterfly so pieces are thinner. Make sure strips are similar in size.
- In a bowl toss chicken strips with remaining oil, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Pull sheet pan out of oven, and with a spatula or tongs, push vegetables to one side, covering about half of the sheet pan. Spread seasoned chicken strips over the other half of the sheet pan, and place back in oven for about 20 more minutes, tossing chicken as well as vegetables for even cooking. Chicken strips should reach internal temperature of 165oF. Vegetables should be tender, not mushy.
- When cooked, transfer the peppers to a bowl and the chicken to a separate bowl.
- Sprinkle some cilantro, cotija (if using) and lime over the chicken.
- Plate some arugula. Layer on some onions and peppers. Top with the chicken and enjoy.
- The key to making sheet pan meals work is adjusting ingredient size to cook in the same (or as close to) amount of time, making denser ingredients smaller in size and thinner or more delicate ingredients larger. Or you can always add ingredients as you go!
- Don't have traditional chili powder? No problem. Add in some chipotle powder or whatever other ground chili powder you might have on hand.
- Want to spice it up? Add in some jalapeno toward the end of the cook time... or poblano in the place of one of the peppers. Or top the fajita with a spicy salsa.
- Make sure that you drag the cooked chicken through the pan juices before removing from the sheet pan. It's so full of flavor!
- If you use other proteins other than chicken, you will need to adjust the cook times. Shrimp cook MUCH faster than chicken and steak should be cooked to your liking.
Please Note: the nutritional data is provided by NutriFox and may not be 100% accurate.