These perfectly seasoned, golden brown delights make for an irresistible appetizer, especially when paired with a tangy, keto-friendly remoulade sauce.
I love these because they are bite-sized, crispy on the outside yet tender on the inside… and everyone loves them. Let’s take a look at how to make these delicious appetizers.
This keto crab cakes recipe is: LOW CARB, KETO-FRIENDLY and GLUTEN-FREE.
Inspiration for this keto crab cakes recipe:
Is this keto crab cakes recipe truly keto and low carb?
What are the ingredients to make keto crab cakes?
- Lump Crab Meat: The star of the dish, crab meat offers a rich, sweet flavor and tender texture, making it the ideal base for these cakes.
- Almond Flour Breadcrumbs: This low carb alternative to traditional breadcrumbs helps bind the cakes together while adding a subtle nuttiness.
- Mayonnaise: Full-fat mayonnaise adds moisture and richness, enhancing the texture and flavor of the crab cakes.
- Eggs: Eggs are crucial for binding all the ingredients together, ensuring the cakes hold their shape while cooking.
- Fresh Parsley: Parsley brings a fresh, herby brightness, balancing the richness of the crab meat and mayonnaise.
- Dijon Mustard: This ingredient adds the acid, elevating the overall flavor profile.
- Old Bay Seasoning: A classic in crab cake recipes, Old Bay Seasoning provides a unique blend of spices that complement the crab perfectly.
- Lemon Wedges: The fresh, acidic burst from lemon brightens the crab cakes and adds a refreshing contrast. Add it into the crab mixture and when they are done cooking.
- Green Onions or Chives: These can add that delicious counterbalancing flavor profile and a pop of color for presentation.
- Red Bell Peppers: These add sweetness and crunch. They work perfectly with remoulade sauce too.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN Low Carb Crab Cakes:
It's essential to ensure that the crab meat is thoroughly drained and patted dry; this step is crucial to prevent your cakes from falling apart.
Once your crab meat is prepped and ready, take a large mixing bowl and gently combine it with almond breadcrumbs, the mayonnaise and beaten eggs, chopped fresh parsley, Dijon mustard, and a generous seasoning of Old Bay, black pepper, and salt, creating a perfect balance of zest and spice.
After your mixture is well-combined, let it chill in the refrigerator. This step isn't just about cooling; it's crucial for helping the ingredients meld together, making the cakes easier to form.
Once chilled, shape the mixture into small, appetizer-sized cakes (see the steps below for a tip on how I do this easily). This size is not only perfect for portion control but also makes cooking and flipping easier. Cook these cakes in a well-oiled skillet over medium heat until each side turns a lovely golden brown.
The key here is patience; give them time to form a nice crust before flipping them gently. Serve these scrumptious keto crab cakes warm, accompanied by lemon wedges for a tangy kick, or with a spicy remoulade sauce for an added layer of flavor.
Make this keto crab cakes recipe with me:
I've tried to highlight the important steps in making this low carb crab cakes recipe. If you have questions, please ask in the comments!
Storing, Freezing and Reheating Keto Crab Cakes
Refrigerator Storage: If you have leftovers or need to prepare the crab cakes in advance, let the crab cakes cool to room temperature after cooking. Then, place them in an airtight container. Store them in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Freezing: For longer storage, you can freeze the crab cakes. Lay them on a baking sheet, freeze until solid, and then transfer them to a freezer-safe bag or container; they'll keep well for up to a month. When you want to serve them, place them in the refrigerator to thaw overnight.
Reheating: Reheating your keto crab cakes is simple and can be done in a way that preserves their crisp exterior and moist interior. To reheat, preheat your oven to 350°F. Place the crab cakes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and warm them for about 10-15 minutes or until they are heated through.
DO NOT MICROWAVE. They will get chewy and develop a strange smell.
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUSNESS? TRY THESE RECIPES
Keto Remoulade Sauce: A perfect blend of creamy and spicy, this sauce will elevate any seafood dish or become your go-to dip for veggies. So good.
Stuffed Cherry Tomato BLT Bites: These bite-sized treats pack all the flavors of a classic BLT into a juicy cherry tomato, offering a burst of freshness and savoriness in every bite.
Keto Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers: A delightful combination of spicy jalapeños, creamy filling, and crispy bacon, these poppers are a surefire hit for any gathering.
Roasted Eggplant Appetizer: Simple yet flavorful, this dish brings out the natural richness of roasted eggplant paired with burrata, ideal for a light and elegant starter.
Delicious Low Carb Meatballs: These meatballs are a testament to how you can enjoy traditional recipes without the carbs, making them a versatile addition to any party menu.
This website provides approximate nutrition data and information for convenience and as a courtesy only.