The perfect pork burgers recipe. A combination of sauteed onions, shallots, roasted garlic, bacon and spices pack these pork burgers full of flavor!
This pork burgers recipe is: Paleo, Gluten Free, Primal, Low Carb and Wheat Belly friendly.
The Perfect Pork Burgers Recipe
So this one kinda came out of left field for me. I was hanging out with the family and realized that I had defrosted ground pork rather than ground beef. Whoops. Normally I would have just made something else, but I’d already told my kids that we were having burgers for lunch. I don’t know about your house, but in mine, burgers are serious business. Next up for lunch: ground pork burgers.
I’ve made a couple pork burgers recipes in the past, but didn’t have those ingredients on hand. Normally they are pretty straightforward with fresh sage, thyme, salt and pepper. No sage or thyme on hand, so let’s get a little creative. In this pork burgers recipe you’ll find caramelized onions, shallots, roasted garlic, cumin, cayenne and bacon. Sounds good, right? It is.
As always in my house, we have roasted garlic on hand. You can make up a batch of easy roasted garlic to keep in your refrigerator for when you need it. Saves a lot of time and adds a lot of flavor. Speaking of flavor, we enjoyed this with a delicious mustard sauce, spicy jalapeno slices and some cornichon pickles. Also, there’s just a little more bacon because we love the bacon. I’ve included the mustard sauce recipe as well if you’re interested in making it. It’s really tasty and goes well with all the other flavors on the plate!
QUICK COOKING TIP: Cooking pork burgers is a bit different than cooking regular beef burgers. First, they are a little more delicate than beef burgers. You have to be more careful on the flip, or they might break on you. Also, you have to cook them all the way through. I’m a huge fan of cooking some great, grass fed beef burgers to the perfect medium temperature. That doesn’t exist for pork burgers. They need to be cooked all the way through, which is why I suggest longer cook times per side than for regular burgers. With pork, better safe than sorry!
Ok. Enough talky talk. Let’s get to the pork burgers recipe.
Enjoy this perfect pork burgers recipe with some sliced jalapeno, mustard sauce and some crispy bacon. Yumm.
- 2.5 LBS Ground Pork
- ½ Onion small dice
- 1 Shallot small dice
- 4 Cloves Roasted Garlic
- 1 TSP Ground Cumin
- ¼ TSP Cayenne
- 2 Strips Cooked Bacon minced
- 1 TSP Kosher Salt
- ½ TSP Cracked Pepper
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 3 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 TSP Dijon Mustard
- Pinch of Kosher Salt
- Turn on the grill to get it hot!
- Start by heating a sautee pan over high heat with 1 TBSP olive oil. When the oil shimmers, add in the onion and cook for 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, add a pinch of salt and the shallots. Stir and continue to cook for 4-5 more minutes. Remove and add the shallots and onions to a mixing bowl.
- In the same mixing bowl, add in all the remaining burger ingredients. Mix well by hand until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Form eight pork burgers and take them to the grill. Cook on one side for 7-8 minutes. Flip and cook on the other for 7-8 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from the grill, top with your favorite toppings and happy eating!
- Add all the ingredients into a small bowl.
- Using either a whisk or a hand mixer, begin to emulsify the liquid. Because we have added the olive oil all at once, this will not make mayonnaise. It will be thinner.
- Taste, adjust the seasoning and add to the burger, fish or chicken!
Check out my Roasted Garlic Recipe which I used for the Pork Burgers Recipe.
Final thoughts on the Pork Burgers Recipe:
The whole family loved these pork burgers. They are packed full of delicious flavors that complement one another. When you add on the jalapeno slices and mustard sauce, it really just comes together really well. If you didn’t want to put on the jalapeno or mustard sauce, you might want to try a coleslaw, sauteed onions or perhaps some type of tapenade. The olives would really go well on this recipe.
Our house is mostly gluten free (I have kids, so there is some gluten around!), so there are no buns happening. If you were to use a bun, go for something soft and buttery. Maybe you layer on some fresh lettuce, bacon, tomato and load up the mayo to make a delicious BLT pork burger. That would be good too. Now that I think of it, that sounds really good. Next time, I’m making that. These burgers would go great with some pan seared brussels sprouts or roasted cauliflower too!
However you make it, let me know! If you have another pork burgers recipe that you love, post it up in the comments. Happy eating.