I've read that you can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world and there will still be someone who hates peaches. Well, I'm not sure about all that... but I am sure that you are going to love my Savory Peach Compote. It's so good that you'll never know it was refined sugar free. Let's take a look at how to make it and what it pairs with perfectly.
This Sugar Free Peach Compote recipe is: Low Carb, Gluten Free, Paleo Friendly and Vegetarian.
PEACH COMPOTE: WHERE'S THE SUGAR?
Over the years, I've made a ton of compotes and they have all been loaded up with sugar. Well, now that sugar is not a welcome ingredient in my household, I needed to figure out how to create compotes without it. My first attempt has been with peaches, in this very recipe. Here's what I did to punch up the natural sugar and flavors in this recipe.
- I decided to make this a more savory compote to pair well with grilled meats. This means that although this peach compote is sweet, it will not taste like jelly or jam.
- To really get the natural sugars moving in the peaches, I decided to grill them first. Not only does this caramelize some of the sugar, but it added a nice layer of flavor to the compote.
- We are going to use a little natural or raw honey... depending on what you have on hand. Honey is a tricky one simply because many types of honey have been enhanced by high fructose corn syrup. I ran out of raw honey, but had some good wildflower honey from a local farm stand on hand. We're only going to use a tablespoon of honey to balance out some of the sour notes.
- The recipe is all brought together with butter. After we grill the peaches, we're going to chop them up and slowly cook them in butter and thyme. It all just comes together so nicely.
So that's how we come up with a peach compote without the refined sugar. It's a delicious recipe which I have now made three times to not only test, but to enjoy with different types of food!
WHAT FOODS TO EAT WITH PEACH COMPOTE
Here's a quick list of foods that pair well with peach compote:
- Yogurt: Plain, Vanilla, Lemon or Lime
- Ice Cream: Cinnamon, Ginger, Vanilla or Caramel
- Proteins: Pork Chops, Pork Tenderloin, Chicken or Duck Breast
- Fruits: Blueberries, Raspberries, Currants or Cherries
- Cheeses: Brie, Burrata, Mozzarella or Mascarpone. Also loves reduced balsamic with these cheeses.
- Preserved Meats: Bacon, Prosciutto, Speck or Bresaola.
If you're not into low carb or could care less about sugar intake... check out my recipe for Blueberry Compote with Gluten Free Crepes. It's super.
Want to put the compote with some meat? Here are some good recipes:
Grilled Beer Can Chicken (without the beer can)
Nutrition information is supplied by NutriFox and are based on estimates only.