Looking for some smoking hot chipotle chicken wings? You’ve found the right recipe. Not only are we going to make a quick chipotle spice dry rub, but we’re going to coat these wings lightly in chipotle aioli just to make things interesting. Top them off with some sliced basil for a tantalizing treat that is perfect to watch the game or feed the family for dinner. Check out this awesome recipe and then get cooking!
This Chipotle Chicken Wing recipe is: Gluten Free, Paleo, Low Carb & Delightfully Spicy
Chipotle Chicken Wings Are Incredible!
Around our house we can’t get enough chipotle. My kids put chipotle sauce on just about everything to see how it might taste. Chipotle eggs, deviled eggs and southwest omelettes start off the morning. At lunch, we’ll chow down on some a chipotle chicken fajita or nachos… and for dinner who wouldn’t love some honey chipotle bbq chicken?
Recently, I’ve wanted to branch out from just using the smokey chipotle Tabasco sauce. Why not make a yummy, smoked chipotle dry rub? Easy enough. My kids love how the spice rub smells. My son asked if we could put it on some wings, so that’s what we did. Let me tell you that dry rubbed chipotle chicken wings are spectacular. I grilled mine for some extra flavor and they disappeared off the platter in record time.
These chipotle chicken wings were so good I made them a second time in the same day. The second time I grilled them and coated them lightly in my Chipotle Aioli (recipe link below). Wow. It needed some brightness, so I chopped up some fresh basil which made all the difference in the world. Just so good. I know you’re going to love them too.
How to Make Chipotle Chicken Wings
There are several ways to make chipotle chicken wings. Check out these resources:
Once you choose how you want to make the wings, go ahead and whip up some of the chipotle dry rub. Give them a good coating and you’re in business.
Chipotle Chicken Wing Rub
Making the Chipotle Chicken Wing Rub is easy. Keep in mind that you can adjust the heat by adding more or less cayenne pepper.
You’ll need to mix these dry spices together in a bowl:
- 1 Tablespoon Crushed Chipotle Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked Hungarian Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
Add everything to a bowl and stir until completely mixed. Use this as a fajita seasoning, taco seasoning or add a couple tablespoons into sour cream for an awesome chipotle dipping sauce. It’s perfect to rub all over a pork shoulder to make some incredibly tasty pulled pork or apply liberally to boneless skinless chicken thighs for some shredded southwest chicken.
Chipotle Chicken Wing Sauce Recipe
Here are some great recommendations for sauces to pair with my chipotle chicken wings:
- Chipotle Aioli: It packs some intense flavor and is ready in under 2 minutes (watch the video!). Use it as a dipping sauce or lightly coat your wings in the sauce. So good.
- Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing: This is my most popular recipe month after month. This blue cheese will cool down your tastebuds in no time flat. Make extra to dip in some celery or peeled carrots.
- Honey Blue Cheese Dressing: For some reason, Chipotle Spice loves honey. Once you have made the blue cheese dressing, mix in some honey to suit your taste. Awesome.
Try my other chicken wing recipes:
Final thoughts on the Chipotle Chicken Wing Recipe:
I love eating chicken wings. With all the nooks and crannies, they are just the perfect delivery platform for huge flavor. Plus they are so versatile… great for appetizers, party bowls or served as a filling lunch or dinner option as well. Whether they are baked, grilled or fried, they just taste so good.
With this chipotle chicken wings recipe, you’re in the drivers seat with how spicy you want the mix to be. We love wings spicy around here, so the more heat the better. If you just want some of that good chipotle flavor, dial back the cayenne and chipotle pepper. The smoke flavor will come through with the smoked Hungarian paprika and the wings will still be delicious.
I would pair this with a really good pilsner (if you drink beer) or hard cider. There isn’t really a great wine pairing to go with these wings. If you’re not into cider or beer, make yourself a delicious margarita. You’ll be happy you did.
Enjoy this recipe and let me know how it turned out for you!
Grilled Chipotle Chicken Wings Recipe
For the Chipotle Chicken Wing Dry Rub
- 1 TBSP Crushed Chipotle Pepper
- 1 TBSP Granulated Garlic Powder
- 1 TBSP Granulated Onion Powder
- 1 TBSP Smoked Hungarian Paprika
- 1 TBSP Ground Cumin
- 1 TSP Kosher Salt
- 1 TSP Mustard Powder
- 1 TSP Dried Oregano
- 1/2 TSP Pepper
- 1/2 TSP Cayenne Pepper
For the Chicken Wings
- 16 Chicken Wings Drums & Flats separated. Wing tips discarded.
- 3 TBSP Olive Oil
For the Chipotle Chicken Wing Rub
- Add all the dry seasonings to a bowl. Mix well until fully incorporated.
For the Chipotle Chicken Wings
- Add the chicken wings to a large bowl. Coat with the olive oil. You may use less than 3 TBSP if you have smaller wings.
- Liberally coat the wings with the Chipotle spices.
- Add to a hot grill. Cook the wings for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Chicken is cooked at 165 degrees.
- Serve hot and enjoy.