When you first read through this recipe for roasted patty pan squash, you might think that it is too simple to be good. Let me tell you that it is so good you’ll wonder why it has never been on your table before. With only four ingredients you’re going to love every last bite… and then make it again and again. Just delicious.
This Roasted Patty Pan Squash recipe is: Low Carb, Vegetarian, Gluten Free & Fabulous.
Roasted Patty Pan Squash with Parmesan
My friend Giuseppina first showed me this method to make vegetables while we were living in France. She made this same recipe but with fennel. How delightful it was. My favorite part is just how simple this roasted patty pan squash recipe truly is… all we are going to do is lightly steam the vegetables and then roast them off in the oven.
Why steam first? The steaming begins breaking down and softening the vegetables. It allows them to really absorb the salt, pepper and olive oil. The result is a perfectly tender roasted patty pan that melts in your mouth. It’s so good.
We’re going to add the fresh shaved parmesan directly to the top of the patty pan squash after it has been steamed and before it is roasted. We need to use fresh shaved parmesan as well… otherwise it will not turn out right. Please don’t use any parmesan from a green can- I promise it will not work! Load up a mountain of parmesan on top of the squash and it will come out of the oven crisp as a cracker. You’re going to love it.
How to Prepare Patty Pan Squash
It’s really easy to make patty pan squash, but lots of people never make it simply because it looks a little intimidating. Here’s what to do to prepare the patty pan:
- Cut off the stem. Discard.
- Cut off the base. Discard.
- Slice the patty pan in half.
- Cut the patty pan into segments (like an orange).
- If the segments are too large, cut them in half lengthwise.
So now we are ready to make the roasted patty pan squash. That was easy, right?
If you’re looking for some other recipes to pair with the roasted patty pan, check these out:
Roasted Patty Pan Squash with Crispy Parmesan
- 3 Patty Pan Squash Sliced
- 1 Cup Freshly Shredded Parmesan
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Pinch Salt & Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400F
- Place the patty pan squash into a steamer basket over 1" of water. Steam for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the squash to a roasting dish. The squash should be fairly tight in the dish.
- Season the patty pan with salt, pepper and olive oil. Use the best olive oil you have!
- Generously apply the freshly shredded parmesan to the top of the patty pan squash.
- Roast, uncovered, for 25 minutes.
PLEASE NOTE: The nutritional data is provided by NutriFox and may not be 100% accurate.