There’s something beautiful about the song of a stir fry sizzling, popping and crackling on the stove. As the Beastie Boys would say: it’s triple trouble “mesmerizing, tantalizing & captivating.” However you would put it, trust me that this stir fry noodles recipe is packed to the brim with fresh flavors and enough spice that’ll make you wanna fight for your right to stir fry.
This Stir Fry Noodles recipe is: Gluten Free, Packed with Freshness & Spicy.
A Stir Fry Noodles Recipe to Remember.
Making stir fry isn’t hard. Really it is one of the easiest ways to cook: it’s fast, flavorful and fun. What more could you ask out of a recipe? Not much.
The key to making a great stir fry is enough heat. If your stove has trouble cooking eggs, this probably isn’t the recipe for you. We’re looking for high heat, a little oil and lots of lip-smacking goodness.
Why is my stir fry noodles recipe something to remember? The answer is simple: lots of crunch, delicious chicken and so many layers of flavor you’ll wonder where the stir fry stops and you mouth starts. Food to mouth syndrome.
Is this stir fry noodles recipe gluten free?
This stir fry noodles recipe is as gluten free as you want to make it. Here’s why:
- Rice Noodles: These delightful noodles are naturally gluten free, being made from 100% rice. That being said, they are not paleo or wheat belly friendly. Rice is a no-no for either of these lifestyle choices.
- Egg Noodles: You may use regular noodles for this recipe, but typically they are made from flour which is laden with gluten.
- Buckwheat (Soba) Noodles: Make sure if you decide to use Buckwheat noodles that you check the ingredients carefully. Typically buckwheat is really heavy, making for a tough noodle. Manufacturers often times add in regular flour to lighten up the mix.
- Mung Bean(Glass) Noodles: These noodles are typically made of mung bean, potato or batata starch. They are gluten free, but heavy with starch which again would be against the paleo or wheat belly lifestyles.
Whatever noodles you choose to use, if you’re not making them yourself, make sure that you are checking for gluten in the ingredients. To learn more about all the different types of Asian style noodles, check out this awesome Guide to Shopping for Asian Noodles by Serious Eats.
How to make stir fry noodles with chicken:
Here’s how to make incredibly delicious stir fry noodles:
- Cook the rice noodles according to the instructions on the package. Set aside with 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Heat your pan. Add in some sesame oil and olive or rapeseed oil.
- Add in the chicken. Cook for 1 minute, stirring well. Add in the stir fry sauce.
- Add in the veggies, starting with the most firm (carrots) first.
- Stir until the ingredients are nicely cooked.
- Add in 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid and 2 TBSP of the stir fry sauce.
- Add in the cooked rice noodles & Sriracha sauce, toss and serve hot!
- Top with sesame seeds, scallion, hot pepper and cilantro. Drizzle lime over top.
Here are some other complimentary recipes:
Final thoughts on the Stir Fry Noodles Recipe:
Keep in mind that this recipe is more of a guideline than a strict recipe. We’re not baking… we’re making delicious savory food which is significantly more forgiving. What does that mean? If you have squash instead of zucchini, add that instead. No scallion? Add in chives. No cilantro? Maybe some parsley. Don’t have mini-corn at your fingertips? Try some canned corn.
As with most savory recipes, your creativity is what will make it uniquely your own. My wife hates water chestnuts. I love them, but they are not in this recipe. Instead, I used bamboo shoots. If you love water chestnuts, use them instead. Let your creativity soar. It’s only dinner!
Scrumptious Stir Fry Noodles Recipe
For the Stir Fry Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ginger Peeled & Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Scallions White parts only, minced
- 1 Teaspoon Honey
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce Gluten Free
- 2 Tablespoons Mirin or White Wine
For the Stir Fry Noodles
- 1 Package Rice Noodles
- 2 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Chicken Breasts Boneless / Skinless
- 6 Mini Corn Rough Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Bamboo Shoots
- 1/4 Cup Scallion Greens, cut into 1" lengths
- 1/2 Cup Carrots Sliced thin on the bias
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Bell Pepper Cored & Sliced thin
- 1/2 Cup Zucchini Cut into matchsticks
- 1 Cup Broccoli Florets
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha Sauce
Stir Fry Toppings (Optional)
- 2 Tablespoons Cilantro Chopped fine
- 1 Teaspoon Sesame Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Scallions Greens only, cut into 1/4" strips
- 2 Hot Peppers Sliced thin
- 1 Lime
For the Stir Fry Sauce
- Combine all the ingredients for the stir fry sauce in a small bowl. Set aside for the flavors to combine. For hotter sauce, add in some Sriracha.
For the Stir Fry Noodles
- Cook the noodles according to the package. Typically, you bring the water to a boil and then turn off the stove, allowing the noodles to soak in the hot water. Cool them after they are cooked and coat lightly with oil to prevent clumping.
- Be sure to SET ASIDE 1/2 CUP of the liquid the noodles cooked in!
For the Stir Fry
- Slice your chicken breasts relatively thin, about 1/4". Any thinner and the meat will be dry. Any thicker and it won't cook fast enough.
- Heat the sesame oil and olive oil over high heat. You'll know when the pan is hot when the oil shimmers.
- Add in the chicken. Allow to cook and brown for 2 minutes.
- Add in the carrots, then the bell peppers and broccoli. Wait for 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring, before adding in the additional ingredients.
- Add in the zucchini, scallions, bamboo shoots & corn. Cook for 2 minutes until the zucchini starts to soften just a bit.
- Add in 2 Tablespoons of the Stir Fry Sauce and Sriracha. Mix well and cook until the liquid has been mostly absorbed.
- Reduce the heat on the stove to medium.
- Add in 1/4 cup of the reserved noodle liquid and 2 Tablespoons of the Stir Fry sauce.
- Add in the cooked noodles and mix well. Taste and adjust the seasonings. If you need more sauce, now is the time to add.
Finishing the Stir Fry Noodles Recipe
- Using tongs, portion the stir fry noodles into bowls.
- Top with sesame seeds, cilantro, hot peppers, scallions and lime juice.