Look no further for a super delicious, delightfully easy weeknight meal ready in about 20 minutes. This recipe for Sauteed Chicken Breast with Zucchini Medley builds huge flavor in no time flat. As an added bonus, it can be served family style, as individual servings or you can serve it as a warm appetizer. Who knew one recipe could be so versatile? Stick with me to find out how to make it.
This Sauteed Chicken Breast recipe is gluten free, paleo, low carb and a family favorite.
Yummy Sauteed Chicken Breast For Dinner
With so many different recipes out there for sauteed chicken breast, it is hard to pick one to use. Well, I hope that you use this one. I’ve made this recipe probably a hundred times between the cooking school (part of our Simply Saute series) and for my family. Everyone loves the flavors in this one. It’s as if the zucchini, onions, shallots and garlic are each trying to outdo one another to help build layers of flavor. I like cooking this recipe so much, I created a Skillshare Class on just how to make it in your own kitchen. Check it out. You’ll learn the 4 secrets to the perfect saute and lots of other cool stuff. Doesn’t hurt to take a look…right? Here it is: Cornerstones of Cooking: Secrets to Saute.
How to Saute Zucchini
Okay… so I’m going to give away one of the secrets to making the most delicious sauteed zucchini. Here’s the scoop. If you’re sauteing a protein first (like pork, chicken or lamb), make sure you cook the protein first. Provided there isn’t too much fond (the browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan), add the zucchini in with the fond. The zucchini acts like a sponge, completely soaking up all the flavor from the pan. Then, as it caramelizes during the saute process it develops even more flavor. It is just outrageously tasty.
Make sure when you saute zucchini to have enough fat in the pan and adequate salt too. The zucchini will not soften without enough fat and will retain its moisture without salt.
QUICK COOKING TIP: Make sure that your pan is hot before adding the cooking fat. Adding the fat to a cold pan and then heating could change the flavor characteristics of the oil or fat. Additionally, it is important to add your ingredients to a hot pan… particularly if you are using stainless steel. Adding cold chicken to a cold stainless steel pan will result in your chicken sticking all over the place.
Ok. Let’s check out how to make this sauteed chicken breast recipe.
- 4 Chicken Breasts, sliced into cutlets & seasoned with salt / pepper
- 3 Medium Zucchini, sliced or cut into batons
- 2 Onions, peeled & sliced
- 2 Shallots, peeled & sliced
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves, peeled & minced
- 4-6 TBSP Cooking Fat or Oil
- Salt & Fresh Cracked Pepper
- Optional: Chopped Parsley, Shredded Parmesan, Reduced Balsamic Glaze or Lemon Olive Oil
- Prepare all the ingredients, keeping them separate from one another.
- Heat a large skillet or saute pan over high heat. When the pan is hot, add in some of the cooking fat. Add in the onions with a pinch of salt and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium-high and add in the shallots. If the pan needs more cooking fat, add more. Cook for 2 minutes and add in the garlic. Stir for 1 minute to prevent the garlic from burning. Remove the mixture from the pan and set aside.
- Add 2-3 TBSP of the cooking fat to the hot pan over high heat. Add the chicken cutlets and cook for 2-3 minutes, depending on the thickness of the cut. Flip and continue cooking until cooked through. Remove and set aside.
- Add in the remaining cooking fat and the zucchini. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes and flip. Cook until tender and remove from the pan.
- Plate the zucchini first, with some of the onion mixture on top. Lay a chicken cutlet on the zucchini and onions. Add a touch more of the onion mixture onto the chicken cutlet. Shred fresh parmesan and add some chopped parsley. If you would like, drizzle with some Lemon Olive Oil.
- Serve hot and happy eating.
You can make this recipe ahead and reheat. Keep the chicken and sauteed vegetables in different containers in the refrigerator. When reheating, add ½ cup water to a large, covered skillet. Lay in the chicken as a layer, then the sauteed vegetables on to. Reheat over medium high heat until heated through.
Final thoughts on this delicious Sauteed Chicken Breast recipe with veggies:
Every time I look at the pictures for this recipe, my mouth starts watering. It is just that good. What makes it even more appetizing is how fast it is ready. Just a couple minutes of prep time, one pan and about twenty minutes. Even for the busiest family that is time well spent. If you’re looking for an alternative method for making zucchini delightful, check out my Sauteed Zucchini with Thyme or my delicious Baked Zucchini Fries. Yummy.
Not everyone is comfortable or knows how to saute. If you’re looking to see exactly how to make this recipe, please check out my Skillshare Class called Cornerstones of Cooking: Secrets to Saute. You’ll not only be able to make this dish, but I give over 25 flavor profile combinations to create your own sauteed masterpiece! However you make it, I hope you enjoy this sauteed chicken breast recipe. Happy eating.