If all you have had is that nasty egg salad from vending machines or airports… you’re in for a real treat with this recipe. With this decadent Low Carb Curried Egg Salad recipe on hand, you’ll forget all about those egg salad nightmares. This is light, refreshing and pairs perfectly with tomatoes and arugula. Just delicious.
This Low Carb Curried Egg Salad recipe is: Low Carb, Gluten Free, Paleo & Vegetarian
My Low Carb Curried Egg Salad Recipe is the Jam!
While we were living in France, I had a really nice opportunity to play around with curry. Why? Well, I kinda fell in love with it while I was living there. Every once and a while I’d find something on the menu which was accented with curry (or had curry as the main ingredient) and absolutely loved it.
All that being said, it was hard for me to find red or green curry, so I stuck with yellow… which is what we are going to use in this recipe. Now keep in mind that one yellow curry powder can very WILDLY from another. They all have different spices (and different ratios of spices!) within the curry powder.
Common spices found in yellow curry are: turmeric (to give the really yellow color), mustard seed, cinnamon, cumin, anise, ginger, fenugreek, pepper corns, mace and cardamom. There could easily be others included or some of these excluded from your prefab yellow curry powder. To make things easy, I used the Spice Islands Curry Powder which is readily available at most grocery stores.
How to make Curried Egg Salad
Making low carb curried egg salad is easy. Just follow these simple steps:
- Find the best eggs you can and hard boil.
- Slice the eggs and add celery, orange bell pepper and shallots
- Add in mayonnaise, dijon and lemon juice.
- Add in curry powder, ground ginger, celery seed and salt.
- Mix gently to incorporate.
- Serve cold over tomatoes with arugula salad.
Other great lunch recipes:
Want a more traditional recipe for hard boiled eggs? Try my Best Egg Salad Recipe. It’s the jam.
Here are some other salads that are great at lunch!
Low Carb Curried Egg Salad Recipe
- 12 Hardboiled Eggs Peeled
- 1/2 Cup Celery Small Dice
- 1/2 Orange Bell Pepper Small Dice
- 1/4 Cup Shallot Minced
- 3/4 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Celery Seed
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Slice the hardboiled eggs with an egg slicer or by hand.
- Add in the diced celery.
- Add in the bell pepper.
- Add in the shallots.
- Add in the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well in the bowl. Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately.
- If you don't have hardboiled eggs, add 15 minutes onto the time for this recipe. Here's what you do: add eggs to a pot. Cover with water plus 1" additional in the pot. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and let sit for 12 minutes. Run under cold water for 3-5 minutes or until cooled.
- I used homemade mayo for the recipe, which has no sugar or other added stuff in it. It's easy to make- but it's entirely up to you whether to use homemade or store bought.
- If your eggs aren't quite cold when you start making my low carb curried egg salad, go ahead and make the salad... then put into the freezer for 20 minutes uncovered. Stir and test to see if it is nice and cold.
- This is not a "make ahead" kind of thing. If you put this in the fridge overnight, you'll wake up to cold curried egg soup. The only way to bring it back to life is to drain out the water and add in more mayo with some curry mixed in.
- If you don't have orange bell peppers, the yellow or red will work just fine. The green imparts a really strong flavor which I tend to avoid in recipes like this.
- No celery seed? No problem. Just add in a bit more celery.
- Go ahead and substitute red onion for the shallot if that is all you have on hand.
PLEASE NOTE: The nutritional data comes from NutriFox and may not be 100% accurate.