Crispy Oven Roasted Chicken
This recipe for crispy oven roasted chicken is: Gluten Free, Paleo, Primal and Wheat Belly friendly.
Around our house, we eat a lot of chicken. Chicken can be prepared in just so many different ways with so many different sauces… It’s almost exhausting just thinking about chicken. This recipe, however, is chicken in its most simple form. The bones are in so the meat stays nice and juicy. The skin stays on, getting deliciously crispy and full of flavor.
Just to be up front about this recipe: the chicken is cooked in the oven, but first it gets sauteed to crisp up the skin. It wouldn’t be crispy oven roasted chicken if we didn’t include the sautee part, it would just be oven roasted chicken which is kinda boring. Anyhow, trust me that crisping up the skin makes all the difference in the world.
So the cool part about this recipe is that bone-in and skin-on chicken is just about the cheapest kind you can buy. Even organic birds become affordable! At our local grocery store, they have different weekly specials on antibiotic-free, cage-free happy chickens that are quartered or sometimes are thighs and drumsticks. The family packs are great for this recipe too.
QUICK COOKING TIP: For this recipe like so many others where you need to keep the pan hot, it is best to use a heavy bottom or cast iron pan. Warm them gradually over medium-high heat until the oil shimmers on the pan. When you add in the chicken, don’t overcrowd the pan or you will steam the chicken and never crisp the skin.
Here’s the Crispy Oven Roasted Chicken Recipe:
CRISPY OVEN ROASTED CHICKEN
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 4 Chicken Leg Quarters Separated
- 1/2 TSP Kosher Salt
- 1/4 TSP Fresh Cracked Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- In a large, heavy bottom or cast iron pan, add the oil and heat over medium-high heat until the oil is shimmering.
- While the oil is heating, season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Be sure to season both sides of each piece.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken but do not over crowd the pan. Cook until the skin is golden brown and crisp, then flip the chicken carefully in the pan using tongs.
- When the chicken is crisp, remove from the pan and place in a lined baking sheet.
- After all the chicken is crisped up and in the baking sheet, bake in the oven for approximately 20 to 25 minutes. The chicken is done when it reaches 165 degrees or the juices run clear.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Final Thoughts on the Crispy Oven Roasted Chicken Recipe:
So the pictures above might be a little confusing. The second picture is of the chicken after it was crisped up in the pan, but before it was baked in the oven. The third picture is after it has come out of the oven- you can see that it is still super crispy and ready to eat.
The best part about this recipe is that it pairs with so many awesome things. You can try it with pan seared brussels sprouts, or with some tender sauteed spinach with bacon… or give it a shot with some roasted cauliflower. Looking for something just a little different but so incredibly tasty? Check out my creamed leeks recipe. Mind-blowing flavor and super easy recipe.
This chicken is so juicy and delicious I just can’t stand it. What did you decide to pair with your crispy oven roasted chicken? Yesterday we paired it with some spicy broccoli. So yumm.